- What is the role of theory in neuroscience?
- How can theorists and experimentalists synergize better?
To promote theoretical and computational neuroscience to the neuroscience community, I (Memming Park) have interviewed a number of neuroscientists with diverse background. Most of these interviews took place at COSYNE 2016 main meeting (Salt lake city, Utah).
The videos were promoted on twitter with hashtag: #theoryMatters
(I drew this one morning inspired by this xkcd strip.)
- Anne Churchland at Cold Spring Harbor Labs
- Konrad Kording at Northwestern University
- Bradley Voytek at University of California San Diego
- Alex Pouget at University of Geneva
- Benjamin Scholl at Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience
- Christoph Kirst at Rockefeller
- Eugene Izhikevich at Brain Corporation
- Niru Maheswaranathan at Stanford
- Allie Fletcher at UCLA
- Eero Simoncelli at NYU
- Matthias Bethge at University of Tuebingen
- Arianna Maffei at Stony Brook University
Anne Churchland at Cold Spring Harbor Labs
Anne newly joined the executive committee of COSYNE. This was the pilot interview that was sent out to recruit interviewees.
Konrad Kording at Northwestern University
Konard was the program chair for COSYNE 2015 and general chair for COSYNE 2016.
Bradley Voytek at University of California San Diego
Alex Pouget at University of Geneva
Alex is one of the 3 founders of COSYNE meeting (he explains the history of COSYNE in the video).
Benjamin Scholl at Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience
Ben is an experimentalist (electrophysiology and imaging).
Christoph Kirst at Rockefeller
Eugene Izhikevich at Brain Corporation
Niru Maheswaranathan at Stanford
Niru is a grad student at Stanford. Both a theorist and experimentalist.
Allie Fletcher at UCLA
Eero Simoncelli at NYU
Matthias Bethge at University of Tuebingen
Arianna Maffei at Stony Brook University
Anne Churchland came up with the initial idea of making a promotional video, and I suggested interviewing COSYNE participants. CSHL has a related blog post. I designed, filmed, and edited all interviews. This project is partially sponsored by COSYNE.